There are many potential challenges to the integrity of the State. These include the use of conventional or unconventional forces to destabilize a government, annex resources or impose regime or policy change. They also include a range of threats to economic, institutional and social structures, such as:
- Trafficking in people, weapons and illegal narcotics.
- Money laundering and tax evasion.
- The misappropriation of public funds.
- Attempts to pervert the course of justice.
- The compromising of democracy and the political process by threats, violence and corruption.
- The penetration of government agencies by organized crime.
- High levels of migration (especially of skilled people) as a result of a lack of security and economic opportunity.