GOV.JM will become the Government of Jamaica’s online gateway to all government information and services. As the website evolves, it will be the central place to perform online transactions with the government, find information on how and where to access government’s services and receive feedback to queries. By bringing together information now housed on numerous government websites into a central place, GOV.JM will be a simpler, clearer and quicker way for users to find information and to do business with government.
eGovernment speaks to the use of information and communications technologies (ICT) in enabling government to become more accessible, effective and accountable. eGovernment has the needs of the citizens and businesses as its core focus and it is built on key principles that aim to, among other things:
- provide access to public bodies and government services though the most appropriate channels with online delivery being the preferred mechanism
- reduce bureaucracy and administrative burdens on citizens and businesses
- enable citizens interaction with government and increase citizens participation and civic engagement in the public governance process
- facilitate transparency in government operations to reduce corruption
- improve the management of government, including business process reforms, electronic content management and improvements in the flow, automation and integration of information
The Government of Jamaica (GOJ) is seeking to resolve the following two main problems:
- No central presence online and
- No central customer service point of entry.
The GOJ recognises that the country’s overall ranking is low and anticipates that with the introduction of an eGovernment Portal, it will influence the factors for better rankings.
The mission of the GoJ National Portal is to create a connected government by:
- providing on-line services to citizens and businesses
- publishing government programmes, parliamentary and agency activities;
- publicising and promoting government services and activities
- allowing users and public agencies to exchange all the information necessary to support transactions
GOV.JM is a project being led by the Ministry of Science Energy and Technology (MSET) through its technology implementing entity – eGov Jamaica Limited, and the Office of the Cabinet (OoC) under the Public Sector Transformation and Modernisation Programme (PSTM).
GOV.JM has been launched. It is the new gateway that will become the single online space for accessing information on government services. GOV. JM will allow those doing business with government to find what they need faster-whether the user is a resident, non-resident or an investor.