The Cabinet Office sits at the heart of government. Our mission is to lead the creation of a world class public service.
We are responsible for making government more effective and supporting the Prime Minister and Cabinet in making well informed decisions. The Cabinet Office takes the lead on critical cross-government issues. We are responsible for the overall performance and effective management the entire public service.
The Office has a central role in the management of Government business and achieving greater coherence and effectiveness of Government operations. The management of most of the key areas of cross-government issues sits in the Cabinet Office, specifically:
- Logistical support to Cabinet and Cabinet sub-committees;
- Policy co-ordination and advice;
- Coordination of high profile cross-cutting government issues;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the performance of government.
The Cabinet Office is made up of the Prime Minister, Cabinet Ministers and departments which provide support through policy advice and ensuring the effective running of government.
Cabinet is made up of the Prime Minister and any number of Ministers that the Prime Ministers chooses, but never less than 11 Ministers and 2 Senators (section 69, Constitution)
Cabinet is responsible for government policy and is collectively responsible to Parliament. Cabinet considers issues that have national impact and debates …
To play its role , the Cabinet Office;
- Supports the PM and Cabinet
- Support the effective development and coordination of policy; promoting consultative processes for policy formulation, assessing policy proposals before submission to cabinet and monitoring progress on Cabinet decisions
- Ensuring the effective running of government promoting a ‘whole of government’ approach
- Creating a high performance civil service through performance management and performance reporting
- Promoting Efficiency and reform through an ongoing public sector wide transformation programme which addresses inefficiencies, waste and service delivery
- Coordinating National Security Policy